Monday, June 28, 2010

Orange Crush, the Facebook experiment.

Facebook is a curious thing. It's wonderful, you can see who married who and who got fat. It can help you feel superior and make you feel like a worthless failure, all in one click of a bookmark. You have all these "friends", but I dare each and every one of you to go through your lists. There will be at least 5 people that you don't know dick about. Sure, you went to high school or college with them. But do you really know them? Probably not. And for the most part, we're cool with it.

I, on the other hand, look at it as an experiment. I friended a whole bunch of people I went to High School with. People I have absolutely no recollection of. People that most likely have zero recollection of me. But for some reason, because we all went to this magical place called High School together, each and every one accepted. Every. One. For a half a second, you fool yourself into thinking that there might be more to it. Well, maybe they were in Mrs. Watson's English class. Or Coach Swope's Algebra class. But in reality, most of these people didn't know you from shit.

And then BAM. You find Him. Or Her. In my case, it's a Him, because I likey the ones with a penis. I digress. Anyway, there He is. The Crush. The one that never went anywhere, probably because I was a big fucking geek with big hair and blue and gold eye shadow. (what? it was required for dance team, suckahs). Friend Request!! Accepted. I hear those Mexican soccer commentators scream, GOOOOOOALLLLLLLLL!

Of course, I post a status here and there. I played all the gaywad games for a while until I felt like a supreme loser for giving a rat's ass if my corn was ready to harvest or not. And it fades away. Slowly but surely, like your Mexican vacation suntan. But the kicker? Occasionally, you add someone to your bag of tricks that you never expected. A real friend, that is now a daily part of your life. My old crush has become my new friend. Growing up can be the shit.

For the record, he's still cute as hell.

5 comments:

  1. "Real Friends"?? I thought bloggers only had fake online friends?

    I think my biggest peeve about facebook is the few people that get 7 new friends every single day. Just stop it. You don't know 4000 people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother-in-law has 1500+ friends, but he's a musician and uses it to keep in touch with fans, post about upcoming performances and workshops etc. Still, I give him shit about all his "friends"

    I ran across an old high school crush, looking at her page, she's still as pretty as ever. And single! I wonder if she likes girls too? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you stopped with the gaywad games. I was worried about you there for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear I left a comment here the other day. Chuck, did you eat it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I accepted a bunch of requests from high school people around our ten year anniversary because I was on the dork planning committee. At least that's the excuse I'm using.

    ReplyDelete